Skip to main content

BOSS PUZZLE CHALLENGES – Your Answers

Tinker tailor tourist spy Forums Bureau of Security and Signals Intelligence Forum BOSS PUZZLE CHALLENGES – Your Answers

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Harry
    Keymaster

Will wait for a while then post all the published solutions so you can argue it among yourselves! It is only fair (and much more fun that way), Harry]

Kford-academy
    Participant

ANSWER (hopefully!):
    1. There must not be exactly one blue hat, as otherwise the person wearing the blue hat would recognise that no-one else was wearing a blue hat (i.e. both other people would be wearing white hats) and therefore state that he would be wearing a blue hat himself – and because neither of the other two people could correctly state their hat colour just from this, the contest would not be fair.
    2. Therefore, there must not be exactly two blue hats, as otherwise either person wearing a blue hat would recognise that the two blue hats were not distributed between the other two people (i.e. the two other people would have one blue and one white hat distributed between them) and therefore state that he would be wearing a blue hat himself – and because the person wearing the white hat couldn’t correctly state his hat just from this, the contest would not be fair.
    3. Therefore, there must be three blue hats (i.e. everyone was wearing a blue hat). Therefore, the person who stood up must have announced that he was wearing a blue hat.

Madness
    Participant

Because they “sat for a long time”, the number of blue hats is not 1; else, the wearer of the blue hat would stand immediately.
    One must be different, else all three would stand at the same time.
    Therefore, the one who stands has the only white hat.

Feefen
    Participant

I think I figured it out?
    BOSS Puzzle Challenge 5 Solution:
    [So first off, there has to be at least one blue hat according to the King’s word. Let’s call the wise men A, B and C. Suppose A has a white hat and B has a blue hat. Then C thinks, “If I had a white hat, then B (who has a blue hat) would see two white hats on A and me, and since there has to be at least one blue hat, he would figure out that his was blue. But, he hasn’t done that, which means he doesn’t see two white hats on A and me! I can confirm A has a white hat, so mine mustn’t be white, which leaves me with a blue hat on my head!” And so wise man C stands up and (correctly) declares that his hat is blue!]
    I hope that makes sense 😅

Cryptness
    Participant

All three stood up at the same instance and shouted blue!
    for a moment the King didn’t know what to do.
    Then he smiled and said I’ll take on you, you and you
    After all three WISE men are better than one, so no more ado.

Sorry, you always get one like me don’t you!!

Kford-academy
    Participant

Got it!
    CODEBREAKING BOSS

The-letter-wriggler
    Participant

BOSS PUZZLE CHALLENGE 6 Enigami

And the answer is…
    [Correct, Harry]

Feefen
    Participant

BOSS Puzzle Challenge 6 Solution:
    [Correct, Harry]

(Also, one of my posts in the “About the Mission” thread has been awaiting moderation since a while! [Apologies, Harry])

Kford-academy
    Participant

ANSWER TO BOSS PUZZLE CHALLENGE 6 (with full explanation – maybe Harry can post this when the answers are released!)

Actual answer:
    [Correct, and thanks for the full solution. Will post that next Sunday. Harry]

Cryptness
    Participant

CHALLENGE 6 Enigami

[Correct, Harry]

I was hoping for a more challenging puzzle, ah well.
    I’m going back to the Trafalgar Square puzzles.

[Wait til you see next week’s puzzle! Harry]

Cryptness
    Participant

If I didn’t know better the picture and puzzle would make TLW a child genius 😉

I am still doodling the digits this Monday afternoon, as Harry said wait till next week….well it was well worth the wait, enjoying it very much thanks Harry and TLW.

Madness
    Participant

I did 7 by hand. Took about ½ hour.

[You have toomuch time on your hands! Harry]

Madness
    Participant

You’re right, it did take me too long.

Cryptness
    Participant

BOSS Challenge 7
    I have checked my working so hopefully this is right

[Spot on, well done. We will have to see – that one was a huge amount of effort! Harry]

Really enjoyed it, would not mind doing another one like that?

Feefen
    Participant

BOSS Puzzle Challenge 7 solution (hopefully it’s right!):

[Nice try, but you missed a rule – each of the number 0-9 have to appear in every row! Still time to get it right, Harry]

Thanks for a very interesting puzzle TLW! I really enjoyed solving it. It also vaguely reminded me of a Kakuro puzzle.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.