Skip to main content

Cipher Clock

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    Mattyrat2027
    Participant

I looked on a list of Scrabble-eligible words, but none of them matched.

Bubba
    Participant

The keyword is in the Official Scrabble Player’s Dictionary. Check the pattern that you are using.

I checked the pattern against the most common ~80,000 English words I only got one match.

When you get it, you will have difficulty in keeping yourself under control!

Mattyrat2027
    Participant

Thanks @Bubba. When it says that the letters can be rearranged etc… does it mean that in an anagram sense, or can the letters be broken down into 4 other words? I assumed the first, but I am not sure.

Cosmiccat
    Participant

Finally got there with the keyword. Wish I’d read #52770 earlier! Ingenious.
    There’s no way I would ever have figured that out that method of mixing the key.
    Thanks once again to Harry, Madness and the team for all your hard work in producing a really enjoyable set of challenges.

[Thank you too for your enthusiastic support. Harry]

Mattyrat2027
    Participant

I’m lost on the keyword. I have tried word finders using the pattern that both I and @F6exb found, but I can’t seem to find anything.

All I need is the starting letter (preferably), or the position of any letter to give me a boost.

Please?

Come on, the challenge is over anyway!

Bubba
    Participant

@Mattyrat2027

When it says that the letters can be rearranged etc… does it mean that in an anagram sense

Yes it will anagram to 4 (allegedly) other eight letter English words.

Cosmiccat
    Participant

@Mattyrat2027 I know how you feel it was driving me crazy too.
    Once I knew about the Bazeries method for mixing the key I determined the letter order and got the exact same pattern as you guys: EBFGEACD.
    I was writing some code for a dictionary compare when I realised the closing line from @Bubba in #52904 is a clue (very good BTW).
    Along with the fact there are 4 8 letter anagrams of the word I found it with good old google.
    I’m off for a well deserved rest now.
    Good luck.

Pandarran
    Participant

I have finally cracked the keyword after re-reading through #52770 to help me find the pattern.
    I created a program to go through a list of thousands of words and I only got one match so I believe the key pattern to be unique to one word.

@ Mattyrat2027 No letter for you yet but keep on searching – by the letters can be rearranged it means there are 4 other unique 8-letter words which can be made from the letters in this word

Thanks to everyone who helped to make this challenge – my team really enjoyed it and we will certainly be back next year

F6exb
    Participant

@Bubba:
    Can you check if we have the same word?
    MD5 of F6EXBCODEWORD: 03c50e3390f71f6fbceb1d8e76b3bb90
    Tks

Pandarran
    Participant

@F6exb I have got the same word as you – MD5 of PANDARRANCODEWORD is 60948c7744cede6ddfbe1157c7d1928e

Madness
    Participant

@f6exb, you have the “official” keyword.

@Everyone, whether the keyword can be anagrammed into 4 or 5 other words depends on your word list. In my word list,
    there is even a Latin word stuck in there.

Here is the MD5 of the official keyword (all caps, no newline or carriage return): 9e0cb3cf56e7f239f36261a72ce7fe18

Bubba
    Participant

@F6exb MD5 hashes are case sensitive. I tried upper case, lower case and camel case, but My key word hash does not match yours.
    I am open to there being more than one option, but of 80k most common English words, I only got one candidate and it fits contextually. Don’t hold yourself back from the quest.

The-letter-wriggler
    Participant

I posted elsewhere in the forum 3 sets of 4 words (incorrect because I was not sure I needed 4 or 5)
    I have since found the five words by converting my 8 letter words dictionary to alpha-words, that is each words LETTERS are put in alphabetical order, then I sorted all those into an alphabetical list order which groups them together.
    Then I looked through the list for 5 consecutive alphas that have the same letters.

Of course I had to convert the 8 letters back to 5 different words – I used an anagram cracker for that.

If allowed here is the 1st letter of each of the 5 words: R,R,S,T,T

The 1st being the one needed for 7B keyword using Bazeries method.

Mattyrat2027
    Participant

Thanks to all, @Madness, @The-letter-wriggler, F6exb especially, my team and I finally found the keyword. CODEWORDMATTYRAT2027: 857ebd5981f250f64f9c0c3cbf83842c

Madness
    Participant

@Mattyrat2027, you have a match. Good work.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 153 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.