Skip to main content

Something interesting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Madness
    Participant

Look what I found!
    http://archive.org/details/41784789082381

It contains some info on the ADFGVX cipher (challenge 6B), and a new (to us) tableau-based polyalphabetic
    substitution cipher called Wilhelm or Für GOD. (“GOD” is the call sign of the radio station of the
    recipients, not a religious reference.) The tableau has some errors; have fun finding them and guessing
    at the correct entries.

And, of course, how could any post be complete without a ciphertext:
    NUMOJJODFTKTQCAQTZEEGVCCLVNGQGMVHTQMEVBOJJODFVCOQCNSXTAUKADLIHLEQYGHMYFFPGEKWRNXTZABVXHZ
    WITXJCMHNUMLWRTHKGZSEDYQQQZIECTNGGTNKDQDFSGNCVBLEIYVNBEQNUMAKJTHGYTAPXCNKDQDFTSLMQLMSZET
    HGGAZXCCHJKEYZGACVLZMKNRKCRGYHZXZGHIKIEQLXSIHQRDXYRJQEWIHIWTTGGSSHMCJLHNHJGSCRHYHYQSNTGP
    XWECEGSDNNEMKULYHGKSIVSJXIHJENMRVYCGXENXVYNDSYBDUHRXEJETIJWNNDZGLVTHEBLFIWTZHCZOXVAQXRBM
    KYXHMYEMYVBNKSKJMYQDUCMGQREHZVTSQRZYHJZXEJMXIWQGWJZVHCTFYHKLHMHEYTTCIVLPNNSDNNEMKULYHGKS
    IVSJXILMDYXHKHTGVRXECYGRNKICYVENJYQSXNSSQBMLTTLVDHRZCVYXVYXUHLEONVNNJZHMJHKBLMTNIZZDEQGH
    AVBXQGECSZEDXHTIGVIRZVNENULNMYMRGQMOXGWYAVQSNHBFIZLIWKSVXSEQXCMNZYXDXTNXJTMPKCZUHSQVKHWB
    XTRYJJRJEGMIIVSUHJOGIHLMDYXHKHTGVRNXIDGVXQAUESMCKIIXSZARVXHDYZKSMVONMVXXQGHWEKMMURZKMTDV
    ZVDQSTHNKGWHKDNZEHRJKPHWEBSJQTMNT

Cribbage
    Participant

MD5 (uppercase plaintext, no spaces, followed by Cribbage, mixed case): 199F1E11DAB86F14B33EE17755C939DA

I am very grateful for your choice of keyword, Madness, as that saved a fair bit of work. Are you going soft on us??

There is, I think, an error in Table 1 (p.2, using the actual page numbers on the scanned pages) in the text that is linked to above, that leads to an ambiguity in two places when deciphering this ciphertext. Having said that, the surrounding context makes it easy to resolve in both cases.

Madness
    Participant

I have done some digging, and there is a sort of pattern to the mixed alphabets. It has lead me to
    change one or two of them in my program, so here is a “corrected” ciphertext. I think that only
    the names of the people mentioned are affected.

NUMOJJODFTKTWCAWTZEEGVCCLVNGQGMVHTQMEVBOJJODFVCOWCNSXTAUKADLIHLEQYGHMYFFPGEK
    WRNXTZABVXHZWITXJCMHNUMLWRTHKGZSEDYWQQZIECTNGGTNKDQDFSGNCVBLEIYVNBEQNUMAKJTH
    GYTAPXCNKDQDFTSLMQLMSZETHGGAZXCCHJKEYZGACVLZMKNRKCRGQHZXZGHIKIEQLXSIHQRDXYRJ
    WEWIHIWTTGGSSHMCJLHNHJGSCRHYHYQSNTGPXWECEGSDNNEMKULYHGKSIVSJXIHJENMRVYCGXENX
    VYNDSYBDUHRXEJETIJWNNDZGLVTHEBLFIWTZHCZOXVAQXRBMKYXHMYEMYVBNKSKJMYQDUCMGQREH
    ZVTSWRZYHJZXEJMXIWQGWJZVHCTFQHKLHMHEYTTCIVLPNNSDNNEMKULYHGKSIVSJXILMDYXHKHTG
    VRXECYGRNKICYVENJYQSXNSSWBMLTTLVDHRZCVYXVYXUHLEONVNNJZHMJHKBLMTNIZZDEQGHAVBX
    QGECSZEDXHTIGVIRZVNENULNMYMRGQMOXGWYAVQSNHBFIZLIWKSVXSEQXCMNZYXDXTNXJTMPKCZU
    HSQVKHWBXTRYJJRJEGMIIVSUHJOGIHLMDYXHKHTGVRNXIDGVXQAUESMCKIIXSZARVXHDYZKSMVON
    MVXXQGHWEKMMURZKMTDVZVDQSTHNKGWHKDNZEHRJKPHWEBSJWTMNT

Cribbage
    Participant

I get the same hash with the new version, although I did have to adjust my keys slightly. Please ignore the comment about the tableau error in the earlier post – I hadn’t actually read Madness’ original post fully.

Madness
    Participant

@Cribbage, your MD5 matches my plaintext, which is lucky, since the corrections to the table affect the names
    in the text, which might not be familiar.

I am still trying to find better sources for the tableau and/or the original encrypted messages used to
    construct it.

F6exb
    Participant

The tableau has some errors; have fun finding them and guessing
    at the correct entries.

I found 3 lines with errors. And in these lines, one has 2 errors.

F6exb
    Participant
    Madness
    Participant

Harry, could you either publish posrt #53012 or replace the ciphertext in #53009 with the one in #53012?
    The plaintext and key are the same. Only Q and W in one mixed alphabet were rearranged, to be consistent
    with the other alphabets. Thank you.

None of the sources available online have a valid set of alphabets (too many Ys and not enough Vs, for example).
    Are you familiar with the cipher? Would you know how to get the raw encrypted messages from WWI?

[All done, Harry]

Mattyrat2027
    Participant

@Madness isn’t this just a substitution cipher? Have I got the wrong end of the stick? I didn’t really get the use of the table, so that is probably what has been holding me up. Any tips/hints?

F6exb
    Participant

I am not very sure how all that works. What I understand:
    Before writing a message, we choose a key in the list of 30 keys.
    We write and repeat this key under the plaintext.
    For each letter of the plain text, we read the cipher letter in the alphabet corresponding to the key letter.
    Is that right ?

Madness
    Participant

@Mattyrat2027, it is a tableau-based cipher. Like Vigenère with a nonstandard table. Simpler than your challenge
    in that other thread. Classified as periodic polyalphabetic substitution cipher.

Madness
    Participant

@F6exb, yes, except… I used a key that is not one of the Germans’ 30 keywords.

Madness
    Participant

Unless I see some historical evidence, or hear a good reason to change, I have decided to adopte this tableau
    for the cipher:

a SQRYVXUZTWBDCAEJHKIFGPMONL
    b LOPNMQSRTUVZXYWCABHEDGJFKI
    c PONMRTSQWYUXZVCABEDFJGKHIL
    d IFHJGNKLMPOTSRQVYUXZWDBCAE
    e XUVZYWACBEDGIHJFKMONLTRSQP
    f UXZWYVAEBCFDIHGJNKMLSPORTQ
    g ACDBHJFIGEMNLKOPRSTQYZVUXW
    h BADCFGEIHJNOKMLSRPTQWXVYUZ
    i TRSQYWXZVUEBACDKFJIGHMLPNO
    j LMONTQRPSZXUYVWBACDEGJHFKI
    k MOKNLQSRPWZTVUXYDBACEFJGIH
    l IEHFGLOMJKNQPTRSXWYUZVBADC
    m HFIGNMJKOLQPSRVTZUWXYBEDCA
    n CDABGHEJFIKMPOLNTRQSXUZWVY
    o ECDBAFJIGHLKONMSPQTRZUXVWY
    p RQPSZWTVUXYDBCAGIEJHKFONLM
    q VYXUZWCABEDIHGFLKNMJQOTPSR
    r BACHDJFEGILONPKMSQRUZTYVWX
    s WYZVXABCEFDMJIGKHPLNSROQUT
    t EDIGHFLMKPONRQJSUXTZWVYCAB
    u RTSWVYZUXFACBEDJKIGHONMPQL
    v MOLNPSRQXTYWZUVADCBHFIKEJG

F6exb
    Participant

@Madness,
    There is a problem with all the tables. If we try to decipher the text in page 1 of https://staff.fnwi.uva.nl/h.vandermeer/pubs/fuergod.pdf we don’t get the clear text of page 3. The first 10 characters only are correct.I stopped at the 18th letter.
    If we start from the clear text, for certain clear letters, we cannot find an alphabet giving the ciphered letter in page 1.

The 10 first letters that are correct match “INSTRUMENT” in “INSTRUMENTENMACHER”.

Madness
    Participant

@F6exb, There is an AE = Ä missing in the plaintext that you referenced. The second word should be
    ZUVERLAESSIGER

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.